Thursday, March 31, 2005

Flying




This morning I tried to put in an alternative commenting system because I've had it with Blogger's kinks, but the fact is I'm not any good with HTML language and all I ended up with was a lousy webpage. So...I went back to square one and ended up losing all my links. I'm slowly putting them all back in. If your site was there and now it's not, please know that you'll get there eventually.

I've given up on Haloscan. I going to blog instead. Although...this is the second version and I'm writing from memory. I wrote an entire post, fly-by-night poetry and all, and it got entirely eaten up by Blogger. For some reason I forgot to copy before publishing and I always copy before publishing because I know better. Must be a case of the distracts.

The picture above is of a concession stand at the Pomona Fairplex where the Inland Empire Auto Show took place last night, continuing on through the weekend. We took the kids, looked and drooled at all the new cars, fantasized about buying something electric, something fun and something impractical/unattainable. We ate junkfood and the kids (all three of them) drove the mechanized toy cars at the Toys-R-Us area. I took pictures.

As we walked around, I found myself thinking of my most recent bike ride with A. We decided to venture a first-time ride to the park with the lake, not an easy path. The first mile is uphill, the second mile is even more uphill. We walked our bikes up the huge incline of a road that second half because there was just no way, not this early in the bike-riding season. We sweated, joked around, laughed, sucked our water bottles. A was so determined to get to the park, just like he's always been when in the wild. He's my outdoor boy...he's the one who likes hiking, who likes the longer bike rides, who doesn't mind sand at the beach. He's always been the one willing to do something different. Once we got to the top, we coasted into the park, passing over the bridge across the freeway. We screamed at the cars, sort of triumphant yells, and breathed in the wind whipping at our faces.

We felt quite accomplished at the top of the hill - even if we had to call D to come get us.

"The ambulance," A said.

"Thank god for cell phones."

3 comments:

Marian said...

That stand looks like a little time bubble that's been sitting there oblivious to the goings-on of the last several decades. It makes me want popcorn.

Adriana Bliss said...

Tamar, yes, yes! You were saved. LOL! It's good to see you back. And thank you. :)

Rick, I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures. I take them and often find something in them that I hadn't seen when I clicked in the first place.

Marian, you raise an interesting image of something unchanging or unmoving in a storm of constant movement, i.e. our changing world.

irasocol said...

the site looks good. I think the multi-media form of blog writing (we get to choose the artwork, we get to set up the page) is just one more way that this form of publishing is radically new.

crazy week. I need to catch up with all over the weekend.